Applications for the residency program are accepted only through ERAS (Electronic Residency Application Service). All application forms, transcripts, Dean’s letters, photos and personal statements must be transmitted via the electronic ERAS Post Office from the individual medical schools. Please contact your medical school for information regarding this method of application. We do not accept applications outside of ERAS.
Minimum requirements, which are set by our Program Director and sponsoring institution, VCU School of Medicine, include:
- International medical graduates are accepted if they meet our general criteria; however, we do not sponsor Visas and applicants must be ECFMG certified. U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Resident status is required at the time of applying to the program.
- Passing grades on USMLE Board Exam Steps 1 and 2 or COMLEX.
- Graduation from an accredited medical school within the last four years or direct patient care activity in the United States as a resident in an ACGME or AOA accredited residency .
- Three months of hands-on clinical experience in the United States, preferably within the specialty of family medicine.
- Three letters of recommendation from U.S. physicians, including at least one in family medicine.
- Applications for residency program are accepted only through ERAS (Electronic Residency Application Service).
- All candidates must apply through the NRMP (National Residency Match Program).
Once your application has been received and processed, you will be notified by e- mail from the ERAS Post Office if you are selected for a personal interview with our program. We conduct interviews 2 days per week. Applicants are asked to join the residents for dinner the night before the interview. Hotel expenses and the dinner are paid for by the residency.
Interview days start with a meet and greet with Chesterfield Family Practice faculty and residents at 8 a.m. The morning will consist of interviews with:
- A Current Resident
- A Faculty Member
- The Program Director
- A Hospital Administrator
After a tour of the Chesterfield Family Practice Center and Chippenham Medical Center, applicants are invited to participate in a lunch lecture with residents and faculty. The day ends at the clinic with a brief meeting with the Residency Coordinator.